We all have things that we do mindlessly, things that don’t require a lot of attention or thought. Jogging, knitting, mowing the lawn, folding laundry, vacuuming, painting, putting stamps on letters, etc. It’s good to have some things in your life that don’t require full focus all of the time, or your brain would probably get pretty tired.
A lot of people add praising God into that mindless category. They throw the words “Praise God” or “Bless God” around all of the time without really even thinking about what they are saying. The don’t have anything specific in their mind that they are praising God for, so their words are empty.
The words “I love you” in marriage can be said very mindlessly too. I of course love when my husband Josh tells me that he loves me, but I really love when he tells me why he loves me. The other day he came in dripping with sweat after a run and told me that he loved me because I showed him the love of God. It meant so much more than just an I love you, because I knew he had really been thinking of me, he wasn’t just throwing out mindless words.
Whenever you are praising God it’s important to be mindful. Ask yourself, why am I praising God or what am I praising God for. Get something in your head, some reason that you want to praise him, and your praise will mean so much more.
Here are a few scriptures (there are a lot more) where God’s people gave specific, mindful praise.
The whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen. (Luke 19:37) I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. (Ps 139:14) Praise the LORD, who has now provided a redeemer for your family! (Ruth 4:14) I rejoice because you rescued me. (1 Sam 2:1) Stand up and praise the Lord your God, for he lives from everlasting to everlasting (Nehemiah 9:5)
There will always be an answer to your why’s and what for’s because God is great and greatly to be praised!
- Writing my lists of things I am thankful for everyday has helped me to be very mindful of my praise.
- There is always something that we can specifically praise God for, because He is good all of the time.
- Josh telling me one of the reasons why he loves me.
- Gus told me he loved me this morning because I “make” good sausage biscuits with cheese.
- My brown Restoration Hardware super soft, super warm robe.
- In 63 days 10kreasons has been to 12 countries. Pretty neat!
- My Clark high heels. How can heels be so comfortable?
- Anytime I’ve ever needed one I can always find a promise from God in the Bible for whatever I need a promise about.
- God’s promises are always yes and amen!
- Josh’s ski socks.
- Peanut butter and honey sandwiches.
- Gus really thinks he looks like Han Solo in his coat with the furry hood.
- Pastor Josh Hall knew Gus thought he looked like Han Solo and played right along, making Gus very happy.
- One of the girls in my class at church brought me a picture she colored at home just for me.
- Got to teach the 5 year olds the amazing story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. Seriously, that is an amazing story that really happened!
- A lady I don’t know at church stopped me to give me some very sweet compliments. I like nice people.
- Josh helped me get kids loaded up in the car after our service.
- My niece had her first day as campus administration at Life Church in Broken Arrow!
- Made myself take a power nap today, it was very helpful.
- Beau & I survived grocery shopping on Sunday afternoon!
- Josh & Gus got to watch some football together while the girls grocery shopped.
- Fridge & Pantry are full.
- Tomato soup and grilled cheese for dinner. So good on a cold night!
- Ice cream with The Halls.. Gus loves traditions, especially this one.
- Ugg weather is here.. at least until tomorrow.
- Early to bed football night.
- Josh is such a sweet dad. I woke up from my nap to find him shopping for a new pair of boots for Beau.
- Had to move a few build-a-bears out of the way before I could get into bed tonight.