I was driving around the other day when I saw a church marquee that read “Is God your butler or your boss?” I thought about it for a while and this is my answer: God is not my boss or my butler, He is my father.
When I think of a boss I think of someone who tells you what to do and how to do it and if you don’t do it right you get fired. You generally don’t want to hang out with your boss. Unless of course you are fortunate enough to work for your awesome father in law.
When I think of a butler I think of someone who you tell what to do and how to do it and if they don’t do it right you fire them. You generally don’t want to hang out with your butler. Unless she is like Alice from The Brady Bunch.. she seemed like she would be fun to hang out with.
Romans 8:15-17 So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children. And since we are his children, we are his heirs…
God adopted us as His own. We can call him Abba, Father. We are His children and we don’t have to live our lives afraid that if we mess up He will fire us, like some mean spirited boss who has awful coffee breath.
He also made us His heirs when He adopted us. Because He is our father, we can just trust that He will meet all of our needs. We don’t have to order Him around and tell Him what to do and how we want it done, like He’s our butler.
Yes, God wants us to submit to His authority and yes, God wants to take care of us, but He wants to do that as our dad.
- God adopted me!!!
- He made me his Heir!!!
- I can have the same relationship with Him as Jesus as with Him!!!
- The little marquee that got me thinking.
- Breakfast outside on the swing set picnic table.
- Beautiful morning with a beautiful sky.
- Great time of fellowship and prayer with my small group.
- My iPhone sets my alarm for me every night. One less thing to remember.
- Gus had a great time at church this morning while I was at small group.
- A really good piece of watermelon that satisfied my sweet tooth.
- My new book! Praying Circles Around Your Children by Mark Batterson I can’t wait to start it.
- Trudi’s post on how the accomplished woman in Proverbs 31 “Rises.”
- Beau’s bright blue skinny jeans. She was in a constant state of cuteness today.
- I challenged Gus to not complain one time while we had to wait in line at the post office and he succeeded!
- Enjoyed studying the prayer of Jabez this morning. I had never heard of it until today.
- I didn’t know if Beau would sleep since she slept at church, but she still took her 2 hour nap!
- Sweet texts from Josh today letting me know he was missing his family.
- I found my favorite pen!
- I told Beau not to stand on the couch and she said “O.K.” so plainly. It was so awesome.
- I got a hair appointment for tomorrow! I thought I would have to wait until next weekend.
- The Sparkmans made it safely to California! Glad they get to do some vacationing.
- Taco bar night!
- Fresh tortillas from Kroger.. they revolutionized taco bar night.
- Rick Bayless’ guacamole mix. It’s so hard to find! It was finally in stock at Target so I bought everyone.
- Josh cleaned up the entire kitchen after dinner.
- Gus was preaching to us tonight at dinner and when he was done he said, “I love preaching.”
- Watched a video of him when he was 2 “preaching” about Jesus calming the storm. I’m so glad we have that moment captured on video.
- Josh has been gone the past two nights, so it was extra nice hanging out with him tonight.