Yesterday I wrote about how a very discouraged David joined the “dark side.” He went to live among the Philistines for a whole year and even submitted himself to a Philistine leader.
In 1 Samuel 29 David was gearing up to fight against his own people, God’s own people, the Israelites. But the Philistine leaders decided they did not want David and his men to fight with them so they sent them packing!
David and his troops headed home to the city of Ziklag and when they arrived they found the entire city burned with fire and all of their wives and children had been taken. The men wept until they had no more power to weep. These men needed someone to blame and David seemed like the obvious choice, so they began to discuss stoning him!
David had hit rock bottom, but what he was about to do would change his life and legacy forever.
1 Samuel 30:6 But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.
I’m so glad it doesn’t say David strengthened himself in himself, but he wasn’t strong enough so he got stoned and died.
He strengthened himself in the Lord! I love what David Guzik writes about this act “This wasn’t some kind of rah-rah cheerleader kind of positive thinking mumbo jumbo. This was the strength of the living God making itself real in the life and heart of a hurting man… This is the same strength that would raise Jesus from the dead.”
David remembered how God had delivered him in the past, he remembered that God promised him he would be King of Israel, he remembered that God loved him.
He then asked God what to do and because God is good and merciful, He answered him and David did what God told him to do.
1 Samuel 30:18 So David recovered all that the Amalekites had carried away, and David rescued his two wives. 19 And nothing of theirs was lacking, either small or great, sons or daughters, spoil or anything which they had taken from them; David recovered all.
David recovered all! God wants us to recover all. If we’ve lost joy, He wants to help us recover it. If we’ve lost health, He wants to help us recover it. If we’ve lost hope, He wants to help us recover it. But we have a part to play. We have to strengthen ourselves in Him! It’s on us! The same power that raised Christ from the dead lives in you, tap into it and recover all that has been stolen from you.
- God wants us to recover all.. and then some!
- The same power that raised Christ lives in me!
- God has shown me that I can’t let a day go by without strengthening myself in HIM.
- David snapped out of it! And God was quick to come to His rescue. He’s always right there waiting for us to decide to dig in and get strong in Him.
- I had time to make a hot breakfast for the kids this morning.
- Putting on my makeup this morning turned into a great time of praise and worship.
- Time spent with a sweet friend this morning.
- More free Starbucks courtesy of that sweet friend.
- Josh watched the kids so I could visit with my friend.
- Angela shared her amazing testimony with me. I’m so glad she found this blog and it helped her realize that the devil was the one responsible for the death of her son.
- Over 4,000 views since I started 10kreasons 40 days ago. I am so excited that God is using this to minister to people and to me!!
- We are so close to coloring in our whole Disney World savings thermometer!! Colored in some more today.
- Bills are paid.
- Got to give and give cheerfully!
- The cloudy, drizzly weather.
- Josh went to the grocery store with me today. So nice having him along.
- Fridge and pantry are full.
- Josh made us dinner and cleaned up!
- Family movie night tonight!
- Cuddling with Beau’s perfectly chubby little body. Her in just a diaper is fantastic.
- M&M minis + popcorn = perfect movie snack.
- Beau’s newest word “purse” So now she can say purse and shoes. How did I get such a girly girl?
- Paper towels. I’ve been out for 2 days and I’m so glad I have them around again!
- Beau’s crazy laugh. She’s going to be that pretty girl with the funny laugh.
- The little excited faces Beau kept giving me during the movie.
- Gus was climbing up a piece of furniture and when Josh asked him what in the world he was doing he said “it’s called imagination” He’s hilarious and he really does have an amazing imagination.
- Me and Josh watched one of my favorite movies tonight, Julie & Julia. I haven’t seen it since I started blogging, it was fun watching Julie’s year long blogging journey.
- I learned about a group called MEND today (thanks to Angela) that helps minister to mothers who have lost babies and I get to share 10kreasons on their FB page!