Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
Just to know “Thus saith the Lord”
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
O for grace to trust Him more!
O how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
Just in simple faith to plunge me
‘Neath the healing, cleansing flood!
Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace.
I’m so glad I learned to trust Him,
Precious Jesus, saviour, friend;
And I know that He is with me,
Will be with me to the end.
“Tis’ so sweet” is one of my favorite songs. The words build my faith every time I sing them out. I had it stuck in my head earlier and was curious about the story behind the song. Here is what I found.
Louisa M.R. Stead (1850-1917) married at the age of 25 and later had a baby girl named Lily. Several years after Lily’s birth the family was having a picnic at the beach when they heard a boy crying out for help in the water. Louisa’s husband went in to rescue the boy and he and the boy both ended up drowning. Louisa and her daughter could only watch from the shore.
What a heart breaking tragedy. She could have become angry or bitter towards God like so many people do when bad things happen. But she understood how good God was. She knew God wasn’t the reason behind this. So instead she turned to His word and put her trust in Him. And out of her spirit she penned the lyrics to one of the most popular hymns ever written. Beautiful!
- I’m thankful someone found these words and put music to them.
- I have personally proved him over and over!
- We knew enough about the goodness of God that we never got mad of blamed Him when we lost Felix.
- I had to borrow Josh’s phone for my quiet time this morning and the Psalm he had it opened to just so happened to be awesome. 145, good Psalm!
- Josh reads and studies the Bible.
- Got to do some serious sleeping in this morning. 9 am!
- Tasty lunch at Pappasitas.
- Afternoon movie.
- Sour Patch Kids! Had my first one in 6 weeks today. If you know me you know that’s a long time to go without.
- Walking around downtown Ft Worth hand and hand with my sweet husband.
- Browsing around the book store together.
- My new journal.
- Piece of toffee I got at the German Chocolate Factory. Yeah, I’m throwing all caution to the wind with my food choices on this little staycation.
- Our hotel tonight is really nice and totally free thanks to some credit card reward points.
- Gus & Beau got to go to the zoo with my parents (Grammy & Grampy) today.
- Lonesome Dove Western Bistro. Seriously Tim Love?! What an amazing dinner.
- Ancho chile chocolate cake! The best dessert we’ve ever tasted, hands down!
- Dark Knight Rises round 2 tonight.
- Fun afternoon looking in all the leather smelling cowboy stores at the stockyards.
- I get to see my kids tomorrow!!!
- We found the cutest Pooh Bear book for Beau. Can’t wait to give it to her.
- Trees! Enjoying the nice, mature trees here.
- Josh & I like the same kind of movies.
- Got to hear my little Peep talk about the “choo choo” she saw at the zoo.
- Your marvelous doings are headline news; I could write a book full of the details of your greatness (Ps 145:6 msg) or a blog full of the details of your greatness.. Love that!
- King size bed!