A friend recently shared this verse with me and it’s been on my mind ever since then.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
As a Christian there are many times when I have felt comforted by God, the God of ALL comfort. But I’ve never thought about the reason He comforts me. It’s not just so I can feel better and keep what He’s done for me inside, it’s so I can comfort those who are in any trouble with that same comfort I received from Him.
When Paul (who wrote the verses above) was having a hard time in Macedonia he experienced the comfort of God through Titus. 2 Corinthians 7:6 Nevertheless God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus.
Titus went to where Paul was and brought with Him the comfort of God. He didn’t just say a prayer that Paul would get the comfort he needed. He became a physical instrument for the Lord and Paul received the comfort he needed through Titus coming to him.
Never underestimate the amount of comfort you can bring to someone by reaching out to them. If you have ever been comforted by the Lord then you qualified to minister that same comfort to someone else. You don’t have to know exactly what they are feeling or exactly what they are going through. The Bible says you can comfort those who are in ANY trouble. Yes, pray for them, but take it a step further. Text them, call them, ask God to give you a verse for them, let them know you are praying for them. Don’t let the devil trick you into thinking “it’s not my place.” When someone is hurting if you have been comforted by God then it is always your place.
I’ll start my list tonight thanking God for some of the people who have comforted us over the last 6 weeks.
- Steven & Julie Pritt. The scriptures they sent us from Isaiah 61 the night we went in to deliver helped us get through that night. So much so “Isaiah” is Felix’s middle name.
- Pastor Randy & Cheri Cochran. Called us right away even though they were on vacation. Woke up early and prayed for us as we were about to deliver.
- Elena Frazier who has been so loving and supportive. I’ll never forget her coming to stand with me during praise & worship one Sunday morning when I needed a hand to hold!
- Scott & Brooke Sparkman. The verses Brooke shared. The encouraging words Scott sent to Josh. We are so blessed to have them in our lives.
- For Tracy Bartholomew not being afraid to call and offer such genuine and sweet words the day we found out about the baby.
- For my cousin Lindsay. She texted, called, and texted some more that week. I was so overwhelmed by her care and concern for us.
- For JJ Jobe. She is the one who shared that verse with me and she is living it out! Bringing comfort to me and others as God has comforted her.
- All of the ladies who brought us dinner. I didn’t have to cook for almost 2 weeks.
- My in laws. They were the first people we called, the first people we saw and they spent several days watching over us and our kids while we were recovering.
- My mom and dad. My mom shared some things with me about when she lost her baby that helped me so much and my dad made a point to call us over after we watched fireworks on 4th of July and told us how much he loved our kids and that we would have more perfect kids that he would love too.
- All the people who sent cards, messages on FB, and texts. We felt so loved, so cared for and so COMFORTED.
- My Roos shirt. I inherited (or maybe stole) it from Josh when we got married. It’s the softest sleep shirt ever.
- That finger paint is non-toxic. Beau just can’t help herself.
- The sweet sweet sweet e-mail my dad sent me today… signed 10k kisses & hugs.
- Funny Tim Hawkins videos my niece sent me. A cheerful heart doeth good like a medicine! (Prov 17:22)
- The message my mom sent me today. I always love hearing the story about how God told her I was going to be a girl.
- Josh called me from work! We usually text all day but I got a real call today. Love his voice.
- The game of baseball I got to play with Gus tonight as Josh continued on the swing set… almost done!
- Caught up on all the laundry this afternoon.
- Got Gus & Beau all packed up for their trip to Tulsa tomorrow.
- Gus admitted that sometimes he forgets things we tell him.. like don’t stretch out your shirt.
- I got to wear my pajamas to a Ken Blount Ministries brain storming meeting tonight.
- For the awesome meetings Ken & Trudi had in Colorado over the weekend.
- Beau loves the new “weeee!” That’s what she calls the slide.
- Cold sheets.
- Happy Day Everyday! One of the kid’s favorite praise & worship CDs.
- Watching the Beach Boys on KERA tonight with Josh. Quite possibly my favorite band.. at least top 3.
- We shall overcome by the blood of the lamb and the word of our testimony! (Rev 12:11)